E-Safety at Preston Primary School
Children at Preston Primary School use the Internet on a regular basis as part of their learning. In school, we have regular 'e-safety' activities to remind children of the importance of keeping themselves safe online.
At home, sometimes children can be given unsupervised access to the Internet. This, potentially, allows them to access all kinds of society (both good and bad) and bring them virtually into their homes.
Here are some tips and useful links to help you to keep your children safe online:
Explore e-safety sites - There are lots of links to useful e-safety sites for children on this page. They are great fun to explore, so why not browse through them with your children?
Facebook / Bebo / Myspace / Twitter - Many of these sites have a minimum age limit of 13, so our pupils should NOT be using them. They do not offer the same levels of protection as Skoodle, allowing children to communicate with anyone.
Keep your computer in a shared area - Talk to your child about what they are doing online and, if possible, set up your computer in a shared area at home so that you can all share in the wonderful sites that are available online.
Download our e-safety posters
E-safety poster for 4-7 year olds
E-safety poster for 7-11 year olds
Some links to more information
- Think U Know - containing internet safety advice for those aged from 5 to 16, along with parents and teachers, this site is produced by CEOP (the Child Exploitation and Online Protection Centre).
- Vodafone have lots of fantastic practical advice for parents. You can also read their 'Digital Parenting' magazine.
- Kidsmart - An award-winning internet safety programme for children.
- Know IT All - lots of useful advice for keeping yourselves and your children safe on the Internet.
- Kidscape - An organisation which helps to prevent bullying and child abuse.
- Childline - ChildLine is the free helpline for children and young people in the UK.
It is really important that everyone (both children and adults) knows how to stay safe online. Using the Internet sensibly is something that we encourage all children to do during their time at Preston Primary School.
Here are some links to other useful websites where you can learn more about being safe on the Internet.
Hector / Lee & Kim
Hector, Lee and Kim will help children aged 5-7 to use the Internet safely.
KS2 children can use the cybercafe to explore different forms of technology safely.
Disney Safe Surfing
This site, from Disney, will help you to stay safe on the Internet.
CBBC Stay Safe
The BBC have set up this great site to help you to stay safe online. There are videos, games and interactive activities to try!
Use this site to search for pictures. It's safer than Google Images, but remember that you still need to take care when searching for images online.
If you need more help with Internet Safety, or if you wish to report a problem to CEOP, click the button below.